Monday, April 8, 2013

Eating with Celiac + the gluten free industry today.



The gluten free industry has expanded by leaps and bounds over the past few years. For some, it's cool to say, "Oh yeah, I eat gluten free." Yet people cheat and eat a sandwich at their favorite restaurant, or just one piece of cake at their sister's birthday party.

Now, I'm not trying to make these people feel bad or anything! Just imagine being someone who has Celiac and saying, "I don't eat gluten" meaning, "I cannot have gluten or else I will get really sick." Our society today (generally) has taken the gluten free food industry and made it extremely hard for Celiacs to get recognition because, well, everyone knows someone who is "gluten free."

Now I (Ellie) personally had to go off wheat and other things because I was getting mild migraines, and guess what, it worked! My headaches went away. So I am definitely not saying that for EVERYONE who says that they are gluten free is just being "hipster." There are serious health issues that have been solved by eliminating gluten.

So where is all this going? I wanted to share with you all, an article about eating when you have Celiac Disease. Even if you don't have it, I would recommend that you check it out so you can be informed.

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09375.html
This website has so much information about what Celiacs can and can't have, sample menus, what to do when you go out to eat, etc. It's amazing.

Also, Ashley + I will be helping out at the Baltimore Celiac Walk on May 19. If you would like more information, go to www.celiacwalk.org! We would love to see some locals there. :)

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!